The Sindri fertilizer plant operated consistently in profit till 1967-68 and again in 1969-70.But in spite of modernisation, the factory could not maintain profit thereafter even after exceeding rated (attainable) capacity mainly because of unscientific division of the company, higher production cost and comparatively lower sale price of fertilizers, mounting wage bills, higher maintenance expenditure due to ageing of plants, availability of raw materials of low specifications/quality large infrastructure cost, and eventually the Government of India decided to close of the factory operation in September 2002.A separate project organisation was set by the Government of India in 1945 under the Chief Technical Advisor, Brig. To end the system of diarchy and to replace the same with one of autonomy, a company named Sindri Fertilizers and Chemicals Limited was formed under the Companies Act, which came into being in December 1951 as the first Public Sector Company, wholly owned and governed by the Government of India.
DVC supplies eco-friendly electricity to some its neighbouring states like West Bengal, Bihar and Orissa. The name is said to be given by the local tribals because of the vermilion coloured soil found here.
Founded in 1949, BIT Sindri is a technical institution offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses in ten branches of engineering and technology, approved by All India Council of Technical Education, New Delhi.
The Institute has campus spread in nearly 450 Acres, spared by the FCIL Sindri, and operates under the aegis of Department of Science & Technology, Govt. BIT Sindri and was formerly known as Bihar Institute of Technology, Sindri which was renamed as Birsa Institute of Technology (BIT), Sindri after the creation of Jharkhand state in November 2000.
The factory was first in India to produce Ammonium Sulphate (1951), Urea (1959), Ammonium Nitrate-Sulphate, commonly called the Double salt (1959) and was the first fertilizer factory to have its own captive power plant in 1951 and to introduce planning, research and development facilities in 1951.
The raw materials used initially for its final products were gypsum, coal and naptha.